First Time Minnesota Registration

The information on this page is intended for people who need to transfer their registration from another state to Minnesota. Learn what to do if you have purchased a vehicle with an out of state title.

If you have moved from another state to Minnesota, you have 60 days from the day you became a resident of the state to transfer your registration. Plates and stickers are obtained immediately from any of our License Center Locations.

What do I Need to Transfer My Registration?

In order to transfer your registration to Minnesota, you will need to bring in your vehicle title (if your title is with a lien holder or has been lost, your most recent registration card is sufficient). If there are multiple owners listed on the title, only one must be present.

Effective January 1, 2016, per Minnesota Statutes 2014, Section 169.798, Subdivision 4 

 Every owner applying for a self-propelled motor vehicle or motorcycle/moped registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership must provide proof of insurance. Required insurance information includes the insurance company’s name, the policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

Application for Minnesota Title/Registration

You must complete an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle. This form will accompany your title or registration card and will allow the State of Minnesota to transfer the title and registration of the vehicle to Minnesota. Please view this Application Guide to assist you on what is required to be filled out. We are willing to assist you with completing this form if you have any questions. 

A Note on Prices of Taxes and Fees

Unfortunately, due to the wide variety of transfer types and situations, we cannot offer pricing estimates over the phone. The only way to obtain an accurate price estimate is to present the title and all necessary documents to a License Center Representative for review.