Hazardous Waste Generators

Guidelines for Hazardous Waste Generators

The Anoka County Public Health and Environmental Services Department licenses hazardous waste generators in order to protect the environment and people from exposure to hazardous materials. The regulations are outlined in the Anoka County Hazardous Waste Management Ordinance and Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7045.

Tom by HW

Report hazardous waste and oil spills to the Minnesota Duty Officer 24-hours a day at 651-649-5451 or toll free at 800-422-0798.

Apply for a Hazardous Waste Generator License

A hazardous waste generator is a business or other non-household entity that generates hazardous waste. To find out if your business needs a license, view the Basic Hazardous Waste Requirements for Businesses from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Steps to applying are as follows:

  • Obtain a Hazardous Waste Identification Number (HWID) from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
  • Complete the Hazardous Waste License Application and the Hazardous Waste Disclosure Form.
  • Submit application, disclosure form and MPCA HWID number to the department.
  • After your application is processed, you will receive a fee statement. After payment, you will receive the license from this department which must be publically posted.
  • If you generate additional waste or change the type of waste generated after receiving the license, contact the department.

Regulatory Updates

Small Sources of Air Emissions May Be Exempt From Permitting

New rules change air permit requirements for some facilities with low overall air emissions.

These general requirements can make it unnecessary to hold an air permit and have been established for the following new conditionally exempt source categories:

  • Auto-body refinishing
  • Coating facilities
  • Woodworking facilities
  • “Insignificant” facilities

To determine if you qualifyvisit www.pca.state.mn.us/small.

Have questions? Contact the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program, 800-657-3938 or 651-282-6143, smallbizhelp.pca@state.mn.us

SBEAP helps Minnesota businesses comply with environmental rules, reduce wastes and emissions, and reduce regulatory obligations. Their focus is on small businesses that are independently owned and operated, have fewer than 100 employees and are not major sources of waste or emissions.