Cash Programs

Available Assistance

These programs help individuals and families who meet program guidelines and whose income is not enough to meet basic needs. Cash programs include:

  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - DWP is a four-month program that provides services and other program support to eligible families to help them move immediately to work rather than go on welfare.
  • General Assistance (GA) - GA is a monthly cash payment for adults or married couples without children who cannot work, have little or no income and are not able to get help from other state or federal programs. GA helps with money for food, housing and other basic needs.
  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - MFIP is a monthly cash payment to qualifying families. It helps families, pregnant women, and those with one or more children under age 18.
  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - MSA is a monthly cash payment that helps people whose disability, retirement, or other income is not enough. It is for people age 65 or older, those who are blind and the disabled age 18 and older.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - RCA is a monthly cash payment for certain non-citizens who are considered refugees, and who have been in the United States eight months or less.

Economic Assistance Lobby:

Economic Assistance is located on the 4th floor of the Blaine Human Services Center. Our lobby hours are 8:15 am to 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Please note: we now have a scheduled appointment intake and interview system.

How to Apply

  • Apply Online
    • Apply online at MNBenefits.
    • Available to new applicants as well as those with active cases interested in applying for additional programs.
  • Paper Applications
    • Call the EZ Info line at 763-422-7200 to request an application by mail or fax.
    • Print online at eDocs Online
    • Fax, mail, or drop off the paper application. Drop off locations are listed on the Economic Assistance page.
  • Applications saved to your computer

All Financial Assistance Intake interviews will take place over the phone, rather than in-person. After an application is submitted and assigned, your assigned worker will call you for your phone interview. The worker will call the phone number listed on the application. The phone number of the worker will show as 763-422-7200 on caller ID.

EA No English Public Website Opens in new window