Well Water Testing
The Anoka County Public Health and Environmental Services Department helps Anoka County residents protect their drinking water. One way to assure safe, quality drinking water is by having it tested.
Price Changes for Well Water Testing Starting January 1st, 2023
Anoka County has adjusted our well water testing prices, see below for updated prices of common tests. If you would like more information about pricing, or want to know the prices of our other tests, please call (763) 324-4207.
If you have concerns about the ongoing private well water investigation in Andover being conducted by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), please see their website on the topic here: https://www.pca.state.mn.us/andover
Anoka County does not have further information at this time. Please note that the Anoka County Well Water Testing program is not able to test for 1,4-dixoane, which is the chemical that has been found in some of the wells. Further questions can be directed to the MPCA contact listed on the website linked above.
Well Water Testing Operations
Anoka County Environmental Services has expanded the well water testing program’s capacity by increasing the collection hours and offering more analyses.
Our collection dates will be every Monday from 9:00am - 4:00pm and Tuesday from 9:00am - 11:30am (excluding holidays). Additionally, we will now accept tests for the following contaminants:
The 6th floor of the Anoka County Government Center is accessible to the public. Please come up the elevator to floor 6 and enter the lobby to the left of the elevators to pick up testing kits and drop-off your sample.
Below are the criteria for dropping off a sample:
- Water test kits must be obtained ahead of time, and are available for pick-up during regular business hours, Monday-Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm (excluding holidays).
- The sanitary analysis and metal's analysis kits are currently available for pick-up at the 6th floor of the Anoka County Government Center in the Public Health and Environmental Services Office. Additionally, Coliform Bacteria and Nitrates test kits can be picked up at your local city hall (locations are listed below).
- Drop-offs and payment must be done in person at the Anoka County Environmental Services Front Desk every Monday (9:00am - 4:00pm) and Tuesday (9:00am - 11:30am), excluding holidays.
- Samples for Coliform Bacteria and Nitrates, and the contaminants listed above are accepted at this time. If other testing is desired, please call Michael Wagner at (763) 324-4207 to see if those test can be offered through us, or a private laboratory can be recommended.
- Samples for Bacteria and Nitrates must be collected as close to the drop-off time as possible to avoid exceeding the holding time of the sample, which can result in inaccurate results.
- Specific water-related questions can be directed ahead of time to Michael Wagner at (763) 324-4207.
Water test kits for sanitary analysis are currently available at the following locations during their regular business hours:
- Andover City Hall
- Bethel City Hall
- Blaine City Hall
- Blaine Public Works (1801 101st Ave NE, Blaine; (763) 785-6165 – please call ahead)
- Centerville City Hall
- Columbus City Hall
- East Bethel City Hall
- Ham Lake City Hall
- Lino Lakes City Hall
- Linwood Township Hall
- Nowthen City Hall
- Oak Grove City Hall
- Ramsey City Hall
Other Well Water Testing Options
If test results are needed quickly (turnaround time for samples submitted through the Anoka County program is approximately 3-4 weeks at this time), or if you need analyses done on a contaminant that we do not offer testing for, a list of private, state-accredited water testing laboratories is available under 'Related Documents' on the right hand side of this webpage.