The Coon Rapids Passport Center is open by APPOINTMENT. Walk-ins are accepted based on appointment availability.
Current processing times (not including mailing time):
Routine- Up to 11 weeks
Expedite-Up to 7 weeks (additional $60 fee)
For the most up to date processing times please visit the Dept of State
The Coon Rapids Passport Center (located next door to the License Center) is the only Anoka County facility accepting passport applications.
A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:
- Passport Book - can be used for all air, land and sea travel.
- Passport Card - can be used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry. The Passport card can also be used to board aircraft for domestic travel, but cannot be used for international air travel.
To apply for a passport book or card, all applicants (including minors) must apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility.
How to Obtain
- Complete the application for a U.S. passport, Social Security number is required for this form (including minors)
- Submit proof of U.S. citizenship(one of the following)
- Certified birth certificate (within the U.S. issued by your City, County or State of birth)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Present current primary identification:
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s License
- Clipped Minnesota Driver’s License with stamped renewal papers
- Naturalization Certificate
- Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
- Current Military ID (military and dependents), State Identification Card or Out-of-state Driver’s License (with valid secondary identification)
- Photo services are available at service centers for an additional fee of $18, or provide a passport photo that meet quality requirements.
- Bring a completed DS-11 application and required payment to apply
- If application is for a child under the age of 16 see How do I get a passport for my child (under 16)
Make An Appointment
Read more about using the online appointment scheduler to schedule your visit at the Coon Rapids Passport Center.
The NEW Coon Rapids Passport Center appointment scheduling application is ONLINE.
Digital Customer Connection Portal
The DCC is changing and redefining the way you schedule and interact with your local government:
- Skip the wait with our advanced appointment scheduling (text and email notification)
- Ability to check-in remotely for your appointment from your car. We’ll notify you when we’re ready for you to come in.
Renew a Passport
The U.S. Department of State Passport Services requires you to renew your passport by mail if it meets eligibility requirements. If your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, you cannot renew it at our Passport Centers.
Pay for a Passport Application
- Determine the appropriate federal fees on the Travel.State.Gov website (a separate check or money order per application payable to “U.S. Department of State” is required for the federal portion of the fees).
- Acceptance Facility Execution Fee, photo fees and other related fees must be made by separate check payable to “Anoka County” or cash.
Passport photos are available at the Coon Rapids Passport Center for an additional fee of $18 (Cash or Check).
One 2 by 2 inches photograph, meeting a variety of specific requirements, is required in order to obtain a passport.