The homestead classification applies to properties occupied as primary residence by their owners or a qualifying relative. Classification as homestead may qualify the property for a reduced classification rate, reduced taxable market value, property tax refund, and/or special program eligibility. 

Homestead & Relative Homestead Qualifications

  • Must Own a property
  • Occupy the property as your sole or primary residence
  • Be a Minnesota resident
  • Must be qualifying relative which include: parents, grandparents, siblings, children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews of the owner or of the spouse of the owner
  • Apply by December 31st to qualify for taxes payable the next year

To apply please complete the Homestead Application and deliver/mail original copies to Anoka County Property Records & Tax.


  1. Blind & Disabled Homestead

    The 1b classification provides a reduced tax rate for homestead property of any person who qualifies as blind or as permanently and totally disabled. 

    To qualify for 1b classification, you must:

    • Own Property Classified as Homestead above
    • Apply to County Assessor by October 1 for the taxes payable the next year
    • Provide documentation to prove that you are either blind (as defined in Minnesota Statutes, section 256D.35) or permanently and totally disabled 
      • Note, disability must have occurred on or before June 30th of the year you apply. 

    To apply please complete the 1B – Homestead Application and mail original copies to Anoka County Property Records & Tax.

  2. Veterans Disability Homestead

    Veterans may qualify if: 

    • Are honorably discharged from the United States armed forces 
    • Have a service-connected disability rating of 70% or higher 
    • Own and occupy a homesteaded property on December 31

    This market value exclusion program reduces the market value of the home for tax purposes, which may reduce your property tax. There are two exclusion levels, $150,000 and $300,000, depending on your disability status. 

    To apply please complete the Veterans Disability Homestead Application and mail original copies to Anoka County Property Records & Tax. 

    Surviving Spouses

    Surviving Spouses of a qualifying veteran may be eligible to continue receiving the exclusion if the: 

    • Veteran had a 100% permanent and total disability rating (may still qualify if veteran died after December 31, 2011, but did not receive the exclusion before dying) 
    • Surviving spouse receives Dependency and Indemnity Compensation 
    • Veteran had a service-connected death while in active service

    To apply please complete the Surviving Spouse Homestead Application and mail original copies to Anoka County Property Records & Tax. 

    Primary Family Caregivers

    Primary Family Caregivers may qualify if they: 

    • Are approved by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs as the primary family caregiver for an honorably discharged veteran with a service-connected disability of 70% or more 
    • Own and occupy a homestead property by December 31

    The veteran that the primary family caregiver cares for cannot also own homestead property by December 31. 

    To apply please complete the Primary Family Caregiver Homestead Application and mail original copies to Anoka County Property Records & Tax.

FAQs {collapse}

  1. Do I need to reapply every year?

    The Homestead and 1b – Homestead Classification status is permanent as long as you live in the home. You do not need to reapply year to year.

  2. What do I do if I move?

    If you move, you must notify the county assessor within 30 days. The 1b classification status will move with you.

  3. Property Held Under Trust

    Property held under a trust may also qualify for homestead if occupied by a grantor or qualifying relative of the grantor of the trust. For more information, contact the Assessor’s Office.

  4. What documentation do I need to qualify as Blind?

    Provide a copy of a letter or current eye report signed by your eye doctor stating that you are legally blind.

  5. What documentation do I need to qualify as Disabled?

    Provide proof of disability payments from a qualifying agency. Provide a letter from a qualifying agency certifying that you are totally and permanently disabled (usually this is a copy of an initial disability award letter from the agency). Qualifying agencies include: 

    • Social Security Administration
    • Veterans Administration
    • Public or private pension plans
    • Welfare Supplemental Security Income
    • Workers Compensation
  6. What constitutes permanent and total disability?

    For 1b classification, permanent and total disability describes a condition that is permanent in nature and totally incapacitates a person from working at an occupation which brings the person an income. An individual who is permanently and totally disabled must be receiving payments from a qualifying agency because of their disability.

  7. Deceased Owners of Class 1b Property?

    The 1b classification expires with the death of the blind or disabled property owner. It does not extend to a spouse after death and the classification will be removed the following assessment.

  8. What type of information must Qualifying Veterans Supply?

    • U.S. Government Form DD214 or other military discharge papers
    • Documentation from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) verifying disability status
  9. Does this exclusion apply to farms?

    Yes. For agricultural homesteads, the value of the house, garage, and immediately surrounding one acre of land will qualify for the exclusion.

  10. Can I get the regular homestead exclusion with the Disabled Veterans Homestead exclusion?

    No. If a property qualifies for this market value exclusion, the property does not receive the regular residential homestead market value exclusion.

  11. Where can I find more information on Disabled Veterans Requirements?