Can the court require a mentally ill person to take antipsychotic medication?
Because citizens have a fundamental right to refuse treatment, the court will not impose involuntary treatment with antipsychotic medication unless a civil commitment petition has been filed, or the person is under guardianship. Before treatment can be administered against the person’s will (except in the case of emergency), the court must first decide whether the person has the capacity to make decisions regarding use of the medications. If the court finds that the person’s mental illness interferes with the person’s being able to understand the illness, the purpose of the medication and the risks and benefits of the medication, and if the court finds that the medication is necessary and reasonable for the person’s treatment, the court can authorize the treatment facility to administer medication without the patient’s consent during the period of the civil commitment. If the patient is willing to take the medication, but does not have the capacity to make decisions about medications, a substitute decision maker is appointed by the court to make the decision for the patient.

Show All Answers

1. What is civil commitment?
2. If I think someone should be committed, do I have to go through the county, or can I file my own petition with the court?
3. What if the pre-petition screening team does not support commitment?
4. What criteria must be met for a petition to be filed?
5. Can the court require a mentally ill person to take antipsychotic medication?
6. Do persons who are civilly committed lose any rights/privileges of citizenship?
7. If a person is found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty of a crime due to mental illness or developmental delay, is the person automatically committed to a treatment facility?